"A Journey Shared Part 6 - "Some Musings on Prayer".





Thank you for the messages reminding me that it’s time for another Blog.

I hadn’t actually forgotten but you, uh, well, you know how it is.
Yes, it’s the same with prayer.
It’s not like I haven’t been trying.
I have, but I just haven’t been able to ‘get it together’.
And after receiving a few reminders that I hadn’t written a Blog for while I had to knuckle down and remedy the situation.
Thank you for all the support - it is greatly appreciated.

"The passive idea we often have about prayer has no place in the Word of God. Prayer is work, the hardest work you will ever do. It is grueling labor. It is agonizing. It is coming to God and coming to grips with the realities of your life." David Jeremiah - PRAYER. THE GREAT ADVENTURE

First of all a quick health update for those who wish to know.
As I type this I am in the process of having my fourth Chemotherapy session of 6. They last five days.
I get ‘hooked up’ on a Monday and the drips are changed on a regular basis for the rest of the week and sent home on a Saturday or Sunday depending on how I feel. I then have a three week interval and back again to repeat the process.
Last week I have to admit that I got rather despondent and my prayers (in fact even all my readings) seemed to be falling on deaf ears. So some of my prayers even mirrored this. Why Lord? Are you listening? What must I do to be heard? That was last week.
I had a scan last week on Thursday and had  an appointment to see my Oncologist on Monday to discuss the way forward. Here I was in this negative space questioning God!! Would the treatment even continue?
Needless to say I felt ‘slapped down’ - or rather remorseful, when I was told that the tumor had shrunk by nearly 50%!!  Treatment continues, in fact I am completing this Blog with a drip running into my veins.





I have to say that I’m not sure it comes as a surprise that when one mentions prayer and gets into a discussion about it, the very first observation people make is something along the lines of ‘mind wandering off’ or ‘I find it difficult to concentrate.’

There I was thinking this was a problem that only I had.

It seems that prayer cannot be taught. Although there is mention in the Bible of Jesus teaching his disciples to pray - and he taught them the Lords Prayer. In fact, when reading books about prayer it seems to be one of the ‘caveats’.

Lord Teach us to Pray - The Gospel of Luke

There are times when I feel like I have a direct connection and others the ‘line’ is completely down.
And, when this is the only method by which we can communicate with God it is somewhat frustrating.
What to do?
Obviously the first thing to do is to seek an answer in the Scriptures before doing further research and reading books by some of the great Christian writers and Apologists.

Abide, Ask, Believe and Receive



“When we pray, we align ourselves with the purposes of God and tap into the power of the Almighty. Because we pray, God works through us in ways that He wouldn’t otherwise. God has made certain
things dependent upon prayer, things that will never be done unless we pray. Could God do whatever He chooses without our prayer? Of course. But God has determined that He will use the prayers of His people to accomplish His purposes on this earth. When we do not pray, we limit what God might do in our lives.“  David Jeremiah  PRAYER. THE GREAT ADVENTURE

“But if we are consistent men and women who take God at His word, who believe that prayer changes things, who will pray without ceasing, who will not lose heart at our praying, who day after day will pray no matter what seems to be happening around us, who keep trusting God, then there will come a time when God will say, “I can answer that believer’s prayer because that’s a person who can handle the answer.” David Jeremiah PRAYER. THE GREAT ADVENTURE

More (about Prayer) soon..and perhaps a Photography Blog in between.
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"A Journey Shared - Part 1. Introduction"

"A Journey Shared - Part 3 "Free Will - Choose Your Path Wisely".

"A Journey Shared Part 7 - "More Musings on Prayer".